LITTLE KNOWN FYI’s with Death as a Business
In recent postings I have spoken about a few businesses that deal with components of death and loss. At this time I will provide some ideas that will enable you to do your own research and get more details.
Over the years I have heard complaints about funeral planning, expenses, not being prepared to make important decisions and sometimes regrets with the decisions that were made.
Be proactive, look at the options available to you, talk to funeral directors, make informed decisions and prepare in advance. You can have your wishes, directions, songs, celebration, etc. written down for others to follow and in doing so ease the process for the ones who have to deal with the final arrangements.
There are numerous products and businesses connected with death and loss such as;
- Ontario Basic Funerals http://ontario.basicfunerals.ca/contactus/questionform.html
- Affordable Burial and Cremation http://affordableburialandcremation.ca/Home.aspx
- Federation of Ontario Memorial Societies http://www.myfuneralplan.org/
This organization is run by volunteers who donate(d) thousands of hours over many years to act as watch dogs over the death care/funeral industry and monitor related legislation. Membership is minimal and you don’t have to volunteer to receive support and advice.
Members can get help with planning simple dignified funerals at moderate cost
if that is what they have decided is most appropriate to their circumstances.
- Memorial Societies or something similar exist in areas throughout the world; new members are welcomed see http://www.myfuneralplan.org/ for some area listings.
- Funeral Cooperatives, example in Ottawa http://www.funeralcooperativeofottawa.coop/
- Transfer services ( different than the funeral home business)
- The Globe and Mail article, “Home Funerals Restore Intimacy to Grieving Rituals” can be found at; http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-funerals-restore-intimacy-to-grieving-rituals/article4320560/
- Funeral Checklist can be found at “A Long Checklist” at; http://diyfuneral.tripod.com/a-long-checklist.html
I am interested in your comments and ideas,
please forward them to me or post them on www.facebook.com/healingaheartsloss.com
As always, I do NOT endorse or receive remunerations for any of the ideas mentioned. Information from all of the websites was retrieved in the week of Nov.19/12
Photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/5369749968/”>oskay</a> / <a href=”http://foter.com”>Foter</a> / <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/”>CC BY</a>